February 3, 2012

Day 25-31 : Je suis malade...

Bonjour mes amis! Oui, I'm still alive!!

So sorry I've been MIA this past week, but unfortunately I've been terribly sick :-( Silly as it might sound, I actually bit my tongue while napping last week and did not take it easy over the weekend as I should have. Ended up paying for it this week as I could no longer eat, talk... or even laugh with the excruciating pain :-( In the end, I was forced not to talk and go on a liquids-only diet, which I must say is torture here in Paris with all the delicious boulangeries and pâtisseries taunting me on every street corner! Good news, though--after two days of rest, happy to say it looks like I'm finally on my way to a speedy recovery :-)

Now that I'm starting to feel a lot better, I guess it's safe to return to the scene of the crime and share with you my little guilty pleasure last Sunday that was partially to blame for the pain I later suffered this week...

Ladurée |  Champs-Élysées, 8e arrondissement 

Yes, that's right. Ladurée. Bored out of my mind and with almost every place closed on Sunday in Paris, I couldn't think of any other place to better entertain myself than Ladurée on the Champs-Élysées :-) Admittedly, this isn't first, second, or even third time I've been here... Nevertheless, I thought I'd come back anyway and check it out again for the millionth time. Why you ask? Well, because we all know Ladurée is one of the best pâtisseries in town! and frankly, with all the yummy desserts on display, seriously, how can you ever say "No?"

Grand entrance @ Ladurée |  Champs-Élysées, 8e arrondissement

Hmm, wondering what's inside the green bag? Well, if you guessed macarons... Haha, you're wrong!

Trés jolie! | Ladurée 

I know, I know... I always come to chez Ladurée for the maracons, and I must confess that's the only thing I've tried on their menu. However, what few seem to realize (except the local Parisians themselves) is that Ladurée also makes one of the best religieuses in town! I came across this interesting fact while browsing through my foodie blogs earlier on Sunday and decided I had to taste it for myself...

Enter: la religieuse caramel. Yes, despite my mouth hurting last weekend, I may have been a bit too ambitious...
C'est religieuse caramel!! Ladurée 

Isn't it so pretty?! Of course, I had to take a close-up...

All desserts deserve their moment in the spotlight :-p Ladurée  

In case you're wondering, a religieuse is a dessert made up of two choux pastry cases filled with crème pâtissière (thick custard), a large one on the bottom and a smaller one on top, that are joined together with buttercream and topped with pretty icing on the sides. While I don't quite see it, religieuse supposedly gets its name from its resemblance to a nun's habit :-)

ooo. ahh. look at that filling... so yummy! Ladurée  

Yum yum! I must say the foodie bloggers weren't lying! Though, I guess the million dollar question you're probably asking, "Now, wait, was is it really worth the week of pain you suffered afterwards?" Hmm, to that, my answer would be... yes and no. Admittedly, while I can think of one or two other desserts that might top Ladurée's religieuse, I must say it's definitely been one of the highlights on my tour of Paris pâtisseries so far :-) and if anything, it's definitely given me another incentive to get better asap!

P.S. I've heard the religieuse rose is also phenomenal! As much as I'm dying to try it, too, you'll be glad to hear that I've decided to be a good girl this time and wait until I'm 100% all better :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment