January 27, 2012

Day 24 : Part One - The Happiest Place in... Europe---Disneyland Paris!

I'd have to say today was, by far, the most fun I've ever had since I arrived here in France!! Why you ask? Well, that's because I got to spend the entire day being a kid again at Disneyland Paris!! 

Haha! Yes, we all know I've been a Disney fanatic since I was little. Truth be told, though, it was only after I found out I'd be studying abroad in France that I really started to have my eyes set on checking this theme park out. Disneyland Paris was the second Disney resort launched outside the US, but the first to be opened and operated by Disney--which unfortunately meant a lot of hard lessons learnt by Disney during its early days... While interning with Disney last summer, I actually got the chance to hear many of these stories from other cast members, as well as the various things Disney did to improve the Park since. Living in Paris now and embracing my inner Disney nerd :-p, I knew I could not possibly leave France without seeing it all for myself. Even more so, a number of my friends in Imagineering had mentioned a lot of good things about Disneyland Paris, with some even going as far to say that it was their favorite! So again, I needed to see why...

Admittedly, at first, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find someone to make the Disney voyage with me... I had mentioned the idea to couple of my fellow Boothies, who thought it was nice but then quickly brushed the idea off. I don't blame them. At our age, I know, there's probably more exciting things to see and do in Paris... 

Thankfully, though, my french teacher asked our class last week what places we wanted to visit while we were here in Europe. Half-jokingly I mentioned Disneyland Paris, of course. Expecting the usual "Oh, how nice..." response, I was amazed when my classmate Lisa jumped on the idea! Looking back, I'm really glad she came along today! It turns out Lisa is just as big a Disney fan as me, so she didn't mind at all that I wanted to stop and take a million pictures :-) I guess, you can thank her for my extensive picture album below!

Being a kid again for a day! | Disneyland Paris   

"Parc Disneyland" - couldn't believe how many other people came out early for the opening of the park! | Disneyland Paris   

Wow! So pretty! | Disneyland Paris   

Umm yes, this entrance beats the one in California... | Disneyland Paris   

Disneyland Hotel | Disneyland Paris   

"Bienvenue." | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris   

Wow, we're finally here! Yay! | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris   

First Impressions: Hands down, I would have to agree with whichever Imagineer said that Disneyland Paris is the prettiest Disney park of all! I should probably mention that I haven't been to Disney World (yet), so I could be mistaken... But for now, yes, this park gets my vote for the top prize!


Rather than bore you with all the little details of my Disney day-long adventure, though, I thought I'd just quickly share with you my three favorite highlights from today:
1. Field trip during weekday/off-peak season = no long lines on practically every ride! (I bet that never happens in the States... at least not without Fast Passes!)
2. Mad Hatter's Tea Cups = a million times prettier than the one in California :-)
3. Big Thunder Mountain = best roller coaster ride at Disneyland Paris!

Overall, it was super fantastic day indeed! With all the fun that Lisa and I had at Disneyland Paris today, though, I must say that I do have one minor complaint... Where are all the personalized Disney key chains?? I know, this may sound like a silly one, but I must confess--one of the real reasons I wanted to go to Disneyland Paris was actually so I could buy a key chain with my name on it. Last summer when my twin sister and I visited Disneyland California, I was very disappointed when I found out they sold keychains with her name on it, but not mine :-( Consoling myself, I somehow convinced myself that I would find it at Disneyland Paris instead--my name is common in France, so they must surely sell one there.... Well, to my big disappointment (and after searching every gift store in the park), I'm sad to report that I've come out empty-handed yet again :-( It turns out French or Europeans in general do not like carrying things with their name on it... only initials, I guess :-/

Okay, now onto more important business--the rest of my pictures from today! Enjoy :-)



Main Street USA | Disneyland Paris   

First impressions: this park so much more colorful!! I love it. | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris   

Hmm, kinda feels like I'm back home :-) | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris   

Christmas window displays were still up! | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris   

So pretty! | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris  

Yes, it's an early cold start for us... | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris  

Sleeping Beauty's Castle---I think my favorite Disney castle so far! | Disneyland Paris  

First ride of the day... here we go! | Space Mountain 2, Discoveryland, Disneyland Paris  

Nothing at all like Space Mountain in the US... almost had a heart attack! and you go upside-down, I swear! | Space Mountain 2, Discoveryland, Disneyland Paris  

Love this ride! and loved the fact Disney did not update this ride yet... showed the old-school 1992 video :-p | Star Tours, Discoveryland, Disneyland Paris  

Yes, we're definitely in France! | Discoveryland, Disneyland Paris  

Moi et Pluto! | Discoveryland, Disneyland Paris 

The most unusual Disney attraction I've seen yet... Captain EO. Who knew Michael Jackson had his own ride here! | Discoveryland, Disneyland Paris 

Adventureland | Disneyland Paris

This feels more like Aladdin than Indian Jones... | Adventureland, Disneyland Paris 

 Frontierland | Disneyland Paris 

Love how the the park was not packed at all... got to go on all the rides! | Frontierland, Disneyland Paris 

Taking a stroll through the wild wild west... | Frontierland, Disneyland Paris 

My favorite ride of the day: Big Thunder Mountain! | Frontierland, Disneyland Paris 

J'adore. Love how the cups come with their very own matching spoon! | Frontierland, Disneyland Paris

Back at Sleeping Beauty's Castle | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris   

Paying Sleeping Beauty a visit :-) | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

Love the stained-glass windows. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

Pretty. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

So colorful! J'adore. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

Not a fan of her... evil. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

View from inside the castle. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

Sleeping beauty + Fairy lights = magical. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

Love how we get to check out the view outside. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

View from the balcony. | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris    

Knock knock. "Is anyone home?" | Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris   

Disneyland Paris so so much prettier than the one in California! | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris   

Welcome to Toyland! | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris   

Stuff animals galore. | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

Vinylmataion! | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

My mom's favorite ride. (Ah, hope you like this!) | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

Yes, we are definitely at Disneyland Paris... | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

England! | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

Paris! | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

Africa. | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

"Is that boy beating up that tiger cub?!" | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

South America. | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris  

"O Canada!" | It's A Small World, Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

"Ah, the tea cups are so much prettier here than in California!" | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

"Peace!" | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

Love the pink and purple tea cups! | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

View from the back of Sleeping Beauty's Castle | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

The costumes are so much better here! | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

View from Sleeping Beauty's Castle | Fantasyland, Disneyland Paris 

What a day...! Time for a hot chocolate break before we head home :-) | Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris 

Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor | Main Street, USA, Disneyland Paris 

A piece of New York! | Casey's Corner, Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris 

Fact: Guys, you can actually get your hair cut at here! | Barber Shop @ Main Street USA, Disneyland Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment