January 25, 2012

Day 22 : Part Deux - Musée d'Orsay (plus, surprise parade!)

I must say that my 8:00am start earlier this morning was a bit too early for my usual schedule here in Paris. Study abroad as an exchange student at ESSEC this quarter means that I normally sleep in til 9:00am or 10:00am... I know, tough life :-) In all seriousness, I blame a combination of jet lag (which takes me forever to adjust to on this side of the Atlantic) and the fact that the sun doesn't rise until 8:30am everyday!

Anyway, after a well-deserved siesta during lunchtime, I decided to meet up with Yasuyo this afternoon to check out the Monet paintings at my favorite museum in Paris--the Musée d'Orsay! I've been here before, though my last visit was all the way back in 2005. It's clearly been awhile, but I do remember it being my favorite... Today's visit reminded why--Monet paintings + beautiful architecture!

Musée d'Orsay | 7e arrondissement
J'aime l'impressionnisme. | Musée d'Orsay 

Sadly, we weren't allowed to take any pictures inside of the collections (or even the beautiful architecture!), but I did manage to sneak in a few shots of this gorgeous view through a window clock overlooking the Louvre across the river and Sacré Coeur in the distant...

Why is it I'm always more in awe of the views than the paintings in every museum I go? | Musée d'Orsay 

 J'adore. Forget the paintings. My favorite thing in the museum! | Musée d'Orsay 

Louvre across the river and Sacré Coeur in the distant | Musée d'Orsay 

Love the building's architecture.| Musée d'Orsay 

Did I mention that I wanted to be an architect when I was a kid... | Musée d'Orsay  

  View of the clock from the outside... reminds of The Invention of Hugo Cabret | Musée d'Orsay 

As we were leaving the Musée d'Orsay, we noticed a huge crowd had gather outside along the streets. Spotting me for a tourist, a lovely little french lady told me to hurry and make sure to get a picture, saying "Go ahead, it's for you! It's for you! Enjoy!" How cute and sweet of her to say that! As it turned out, we just made it out in time to catch a parade of the French Republican Guard Calvary!


I also love men in uniform ;-) | French Republican Guard Calvary


I'm not exactly sure what the occasion was--it must have been some national celebration in France or something, because we noticed that there were a lot of security everywhere today, plus we spotted the French flag hanging below the Arc de Triomphe later in the evening. Whatever the reason, it sure feels good to be Paris today, even despite the rain :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment